Archive for December, 2011
- Introduce December ZBA cases if not done on Monday. Meeting is 7pm this Thursday.
- Screening requirement
- Industrial building wanting less parking spaces & to build too close to the road
- Internet Sweepstakes Cafe
- Exchange rate & impact on balance of trade
- If a currency becomes more valuable they will be able to import more goods without spending more money.
- Comparative Advantage-nations should specialize and trade when they have the lower opportunity cost for an item.
- Gilligan’s Island video example
- South Africa/Japan Wheat & DVD video example
- Introduction to Federal Reserve Assignment
- Time to work on this Wednesday thru Friday in media center
- Introduction to the IMF summary & video clip
- Loans to countries in crisis or in need of loans for infrastructure development
- Finish Trading game between 8 “hypothetical” countries
- NAFTA bridge collapse picture as result of increased trade traffic
- Some classes saw preview of December ZBA cases
- Screening requirement
- Less parking spaces and too close to road industrial building
- Internet sweepstakes cafe
- Labor project must be emailed to me before midnight tonight.
- Discuss Labor project issues such as
- Contract workers
- Fair Labor Standards
- Discuss rade/globalization
- World Bank/IMF give loans to countries
- Catch-up effect-easier for those at the bottom to imporve at a more rapid pace than those at the top
- Absolute & comparative advantage in trade
- Specialization-Nations/states/areas specialize in different goods & trade for what they need
- Tariffs-taxes on good brought into a county. Removing them hurts domestic (within the country) producers
- NAFTA-North American Free Trade Agreement-removed tariffs between Canada, U.S., & Mexico-people knew we would lose manufacturing jobs to Mexico, but thought we would add other types of jobs like engineering.
- Increasing value of U.S. $ makes it cheaper to buy foreign goods
- globalization-global economy is interconnected
- Begin Global Trading game-we will finish this on Monday.
- Reminder to bring money for Toys for Toys telethon tomorrow.
- Introduce Labor project on LiveBinders site
- We will have Tuesday & Wednesday to work on this in the media center.
- Completed Livebinder is due on Friday.
- If you were absent you have two options.
- You can join a group that already exists and has less than 4 people. Each person is responsible for two tabs of the binder.
- Become your own group and do the following 3 tabs in a binder:
- The Livebinder has been set up as a template for you. Use this Labor project handout to assist you in accessing the template. Ask others in class to help you with how to navigate this site.
- Continue insurance discussion
- Types recommended by Dave Ramsey
- Car (PLPD versus comprehensive) (Progressive, State Farm, AllState commercials)
- Long term disability
- Short term disability (should be your 3-6 month emergency fund if you have one) (Aflac)
- Long term care (Only if you are over 60)
- Life (10x your income) (term only)
- ID Theft
- Insurance is about transferring risk, buy insurance when an event could destroy what you have worked hard to build financially.
- We completed assignment during class that was given on Friday. Turned in at end of hour except 5th hour, still needs another couple minutes to finish. If you were absent today you likely will not be able to complete this assignment due to the nature of materials used in class. You will be marked excused for this work if absent on Monday. I encourage you to discuss the types of insurance listed above with your parents.
- FICO (credit) score=I love debt score.
- Time to finish writing about The Corporation
- Turn in today by the end of the hour
- Introduction to insurance
- Begin insurance assignment, will be completed Monday in class.
- Discuss the purpose of insurance (transfer risk) & basic types of insurance
- Finish watching portions of The Corporation
- Time to work on writing prompt after watching The Corporation
- Make a claim in a very short introductory paragraph
- Support the claim with evidence in your body paragraphs, summaries of the clips we watched are provided to help you develop your ideas.
- Time will be provided in class to finish this during the first half of the hour on Friday.