Archive for March, 2012
- Passed out a class copy of Sterling Heights Zoning Board of Appeals items to explain what will happen at the extra credit opportunity on Thursday.
- Discussed agenda
- Showed staff report
- Discussed laws that must be considered in granting or denying this use variance for a hookah lounge.
- Students were given time to work on Chapter 4 questions.
- Answered any questions about Chapter 4 or items on the assignment.
- Chapter 4 test
- Collected Chapter 4 questions
- Passed out Chapter 5 text
- Assigned 5.1 & 5.2 reading for Thursday
- UCS District Common Exam Study Guide
- Will not be collected. Use to write down when I let you know something will be on the final exam.
- Review the importance of specialization as discussed yesterday.
- NAFTA-trade agreement between Mexico, Canada, and U.S. to eliminate trade barriers.
- Watch Bill Clinton’s remarks prior to signing the agreement.
- Discuss the impact of trade barriers and tariffs.
- They benefit one group at the expense of another.
- China rare earth metal dispute video clip
- Low exports drive price up and force manufacturing jobs into China in order for businesses to access these materials.
- Comparative Advantage practice sheet (not collected)
- Complete together in class.
- Comparative Advantage video clip to help explain the concept.
- Comparative Advantage answers.
- Chapter 4 questions
- Due Wednesday at the end of the hour.
- Given about 10-15 minutes today to work in class. I will give 30 minutes in class to work on it Wednesday.
- Chapter 4 Test will be Wednesday
- 15 questions
- Extra Credit will be available by attending my Sterling Heights Zoning Board of Appeals meeting at 7pm Thursday at Sterling Heights City Hall. (15 points, 5 extra available if you write a paragraph opinion of how you thought the case should have been decided and why)
- Distributed Chapter 4 of the book.
- Read 4.1 & 4.2 for Tuesday.
- Chapter 4 test will be approximately 15 questions and will occur on Wednesday.
- Discussed 4.1 & 4.2 with a strong focus on specialization.
- Talked about famous sports trades.
- Miguel Cabrera trade article
- Showed One Red Paperclip video clip
- Discussed specialization. Lack of it leads to poverty. Nice to know how to do many things, but not usually in your economic interests.
- Making your own applesauce example
- Free Trade: The Great Properity Machine video clip
- NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) video clip
- Time to work on Chapter 3 project. Who or What Decides What you Get?
- Due Sunday by 11:59pm
- Share with me through Google Docs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Time to work on chapter 3 project
- Due Sunday at 11:59pm
- Help videos for downloading to PowerPoint or back into Google Docs can be found by clicking this link.
- Discuss project status
- I put in a request for Google Chrome to be on the computers.
- I am getting the computer Friday for you to have an extra day to work on the project.
- Workaround instructions for Thursday & Friday:
- Download a copy of your Presentation as a PowerPoint.
- Work within PowerPoint until the end of the hour on Friday.
- Upload it back into Google Docs.
- Finish and turn in by 11:59pm on Sunday
- Dave Ramsey audio clip about student loan debt from March 13th program.
- Circular Flow Model explanation
- Discussion of 3.5 American free enterprise system characteristics
- Economic freedom
- Equal Opportunity
- Binding contracts
- Property rights
- Eminent domain
- Profit motive
- Limited government
- Time to work on Chapter 3 Google Presentation.
- Due Sunday at 11:59pm
- Collect 3.2 & 3.3 Who Gets What? assignment from last week
- Some turned this in on Friday already.
- Time to work on Chapter 3 Project
- Project is due on Sunday 3/18/2012 at 11:59pm
- Turn in by sharing with me through Google Docs. My account email is email@example.com
- Explanation and review of different economic systems, what they look like as well as their strengths and weaknesses.
- Show video clips that demonstrate the mixed economy we live in.
- Each society decides how far it wants government involvement in the economy.
- Coke, Pepsi make changes to avoid cancer warning article
- 10 question quiz over 3.2 & 3.3
- Collect 3.2, 3.3 assignment. Turn in Monday for full credit if you do not have it today.
- Introduce Chapter 3 Project
- There will not be a test for Chapter 3.
- You will have Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday to work on this in class using the netbooks.
- The assignment must be turned in by Sunday, March 18th at 11:59pm.
- 70 Points (5 points per slide)
- Participated in a Bracelet production as part of a simulation for market and command economies.
- Demonstrated the different economic goals that come about in each economy.
- Market economies had a lot of freedom and growth due to incentives, they also became more efficient in order to produce more bracelets.
- Command economies were set up for failure, created equality, but there was a disconnect with what was being produced and having an ability to pay for it. Command economies all produced the exact same bracelets and there was no incentive to work harder or have good quality.
- 10 question quiz tomorrow on 3.2. & 3.3