Students took notes over the first half of Lecture 16: Reconstruction and the Legacy of Slavery. For homework, students need to read the assigned primary documents and be prepared to discuss the following questions in class tomorrow:
1. Who expresses more radical views of race relations–Washington or DuBois?
2. Describe Washington’s strategy for advancing the black race.
3. Describe DuBois’ strategy for advancing the black race.
4. Whose plan was more effective in the short term? Long term?
5. According to Washington, how do blacks living in the South benefit whites?
6. Why does Plessy file suit?
7. How does the court justify the doctrine of “separate but equal”?
8. What important point do you feel that the Supreme Court justices failed to see in Plessy v. Ferguson?
9. According to DuBois, what is so dangerous about Washington’s views? What is DuBois convinved that Washington’s plan cannot work?
10. Acccording to DuBois, why are voting rights vital to the advancement of the black race?