Please read the attached article. Please answer 10 of the questions on the attached reading guide.
Marbury v. Madison: Bicentennial of a Landmark Decision
- What did the Judiciary Act of 1801 do?
- What were some of the positive results of the Judiciary Act?
- What perception did most people have of the Judiciary Act?
- Why were Republicans infuriated by the appointment of the Midnight Judges?
- What roles did John Marshall have in Adams’ presidency? What was his involvement with the Midnight Judges?
- What is a writ of mandamus?
- Who was William Marbury?
- What was the position the Supreme Court found itself in after issuing the writ of mandamus?
- What was the “genius” opinion the Supreme Court issued?
- What decision was made in Chisholm v. Georgia?
- What was Marshall careful to acknowledge in his Marbury opinion?
- What did the case of McCulloch v. Maryland affirm?
- For the duration of Marshall’s service on the Supreme Court, no other decisions were made regarding Congress. In what types of decisions did the Supreme Court use judicial review?
- Summarize the case of Scott v. Sandford(Dred Scott Decision).
- How did the Dred Scott decision constrain Congress?
- What was Roosevelt’s “court-packing” scheme? How was it avoided?
- What were the two primary paths that the Supreme Court followed in its use of judicial review?
- What has judicial review ensured for the Supreme Court justices?
- How and why is the Supreme Court’s supremacy acknowledged today?
- What has been the ongoing work of the Supreme Court ever since Marbury v. Madison?