SECOND GRADE SPELLING LISTS:
A. Pre-Test Monday.
B. Homework is handed out on Monday and due on Friday. Remember to do both sides and show the work that is done.
C. The Unit Test is on Friday. Each test will be 10-12 words. The test will include the 5 new words and 5-7 review words from previous tests. The students will also write their own sentence using a homophone given by the teacher.
1. some 2. so 3. these 4. would 5. other
1. out 2. them 3. the 4. she 5. many
1. will 2. each 3. about 4. how 5. up
1. which 2. their 3. said 4. if 5. do
1. we 2. there 3. can 4. an 5. your
1. Spelling Homework is due on Thursdays.
2. Spelling Test are on Fridays.
3. Spelling Corrections are due (usually on Tuesdays) the day after the unit test is handed back.
4. Adjustment to due dates are made as needed. (Example: One or two short weeks.)
1. If a word is spelled wrong, it is to be printed or typed 20 times. It can be sent to me by e-mail. Some students will be required to use graph paper, if printed. That will be on an individual basis. Typed words must have spaces between words or on separate lines. If it is sent to me by e-mail, I still need the test re-handed in.
2. Some words are not spelled wrong, they are used in the wrong way. Usually these words are homophones, or plural vs possessive words. Students are to rewrite the sentence from the test with the corrected word 2 times. I want the student to see the proper usage. This also can be typed.
3. Grade information is in the Parent Portal under “Fifth AM.” (There is not a separate spelling section.)
4. I will be adding information about the Spelling City app or website, as we see what is available this year. Apps and websites often change.
among, surface, faces, grew, does, groups, several, most, first, build, together, written, listen, ask, follow, sure, single, clear, together. Homophones: their/there/they’re, it’s/it
easy, week, upon, country, area, energy, another, only, every, usually, little, beautiful, United States, English, without, spring, lost, certain, special, explain, language, friends/friend’s, it’s/its,
travel, music, farm, often, I’m, beautiful, wrote, explain, perhaps, answers, that’s, watch, single, circle, notice, than, then, farm, friends/friend’s, who’s/whose, there/their/they’re.
completely, system, usually, ground, although, animals, bed, correct, sound, noticed, really, heard, because, straight, least, base, energy, different, measure. Homophones: their/there/they’re, we’d/weed, theirs/theres.
bird, only, perhaps, watched, work, later, explain, true, sure, morning, thought, happened, straight, course, mountains, than, able, through, hair, wood, earlier, beautiful, caught, Homophone: it’s/its
together, explained, bottom, United States, fly, against, war, animals, correct, finally, enough, measures, hundred, turned, yourself, seem, color, thought, hair, often, although, said, woods, Homophones: their/they’re/there
happy, along, second, travel, else, first, because, yourself, surface, square, another, possible, teacher, you’d, between, thus, moment, areas, important, across, through, finally, Homophones: theirs/there’s, to/too/two
build, plan, circle, river, important, world, energy, sent, straight, present, bright, picture, built, since, people, toward, strong, always, simple, clear, rather, across, Homophones: it’s/its
young, speed, bright, stopped, little, finally, rather, seemed, problem, yourself, moment, asked, machine, teacher, length, possible, explain, girl, caught, information, except, Homophones: There/They’re/Their, Who’s/Whose
except, usually, often, until, information, answer, special, single, every, earth, suppose, during, figure, fell, surely, several, money, free, many, common, that’s, Homophones: its/it’s, your/you’re
instead, government, group, correct, example, than, size, then, body, piece, ocean, grass, suppose, thought, because, natural, quite, any, fact, baby, although, Homophones: its/it’s, lets/let’s, their/they’re, there.
couldn’t, street, difference, because, another, since, always, information, figure, answer, else, until, surely, yours, carefully, simple, complete, something, reason. Homophones: Your/you’re, plane/plain, there/their/they’re. Possessive/Plural: friend’s/friends
language, middle, different, problem, people, maybe, sure, mouth, however, history, information, first, friend, English, step, reason. Homophones: too/two/to, who’s/whose, there’s/theirs, may be/maybe, your/you’re, Contraction/Verb: let’s/lets.
human, during, strong, strange, happened, either, least, child, field, wish, single, learn, suddenly, soil, Americans, across, Homophones: weather/whether, their/there/they’re, who’s/whose, all ready/already. Possess/Plural: let’s/lets
quite, draw, remember, eye, milk, colored, choose, beautiful, straight, child, couldn’t, along, caught, later, square, money, trip, Homophones: buy/by, too/to/two, all ready/already, theirs/there’s.
correct, pay, famous, until, late, difference, early, north, often, seven, perhaps, children, past, always, learned, instead, history reasons, carefully, important, language, Homophones: there/their/they’re
although, humans, change, once, largest, besides, sleep, troubled, does, every, either, store, choose, ice, animals, iron, Homophones: whose/who’s, your/you’re, weather/whether, witch/which, its/it’s.
never, began, examples, though, large through, bright, except, suppose, before, instead, became, hours, American, oil, natural, first, modern, business, thought, catch, didn’t, energy, fun, HOMOPHONES: its/it’s, their/there/they’re
speak, woman reach, several, except, matters, case, business, language, differently, single, explain, almost, examples, won’t, often, figure, understand, HOMOPHONES: strait/straight, there/their/they’re, piece/peace, your/you’re, a lot/allot, PARTS OF SPEECH: let’s/lets
eye, strong, almost, length, built, possible, villages, information, yourself, group, explained, already, edge, couldn’t, reason, surface, eight, soft, through, shape, HOMOPHONES: its/it’s, your/you’re, write/right.
often, animal, store, wall, edge, friend, water, mouth, bigger, suddenly, nothing, point, age, minute, catch, because, field, trouble, table, village, object, HOMOPHONES: there/their/they’re, peace/piece, already/all ready, meet/meat.
period, blood, rich, team, corner
cat, amount, garden, led, note
various, race, bit, result, brother
addition, doesn’t, dead, weight, thin
stone, hit, wife, island, we’ll