Lauren & Jade, and Josh & Nathan worked really hard last week preparing for their Reader’s Theaters. They learned their parts, drew scenery, and made little puppets. They performed their plays in front of our class last week. They also made a podcast so that people could listen to them on our blog. Just click on the blue arrow to hear their stories. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!
This is Mrs. Short and I just read a terrific book called Earth Day, by Linda Lowery. It is a nonfiction book about Earth Day. It starts out telling about how the first Earth Day came to be and how after that, things went back to the way they were. Then, in 1990, they decided to have a second Earth Day and we have been celebrating it ever since. It also talks about all the things that we can do to help our planet. This book can be found in Mrs. Short’s classroom. It has a lot of facts in it and I loved the illustrations. So, if you would like to find out more about Earth Day, pick up this terrific book and start reading!!! I give it 5 out of 5 stars *****!!!.
Our annual Spring Fling is quickly approaching!! Notes came home today regarding the raffle baskets. Second grade’s basket is “Spa for Mom.” The collection basket will be in our hallway starting on Wednesday. Children can start bringing in items and putting them out there. Suggestions for the basket include: lotions, soaps, candles, body scrub, bubble bath, wooden massager, soothing sounds CD, etc. This basket could include anything to help pamper mom. Thanks in advance for your donations!!!!
This week we are working on Unit 25 in spelling. The skill this week is suffixes. A suffix is an ending you add to a word such as; s, es, ed, and ing. Correctly adding a suffix (spelling it correctly, dropping a letter before you add a suffix) can be a hard concept. Please guide your child through the homework and make sure they are spelling the words correctly. Homework is due by Friday. As always, try to visit Spelling City to play some games with this week’s words as well as past words.
THIS WEEK’S SPELLING WORDS: should, home, big, give, air, different
1. LIBRARY: We have library on Monday. Don’t forget to bring your library books.
2. MATH TEST: On Tuesday, we will be having our Unit 7 math test. We did 2 review sheets last week. We will review again on Monday and will test on Tuesday. Please go over the review sheets that we already did to help you study.
3. AUTISM HAT DAY: Friday is Autism Hat Day. You may wear a hat to school on Friday for a $1.00 donation. I can’t wait to see every one’s hats!!
4. FIELD TRIP: We will be going to see Henry and Mudge on May 3rd. If you did not bring in your $5.oo, please try to bring it in on Monday. THANKS!!!!!
5. ANIMAL REPORTS: Next week we will begin researching an animal for our animal reports. Start thinking of an animal that you are interested in and would like to find out more about.
I just found this great video on another teacher's blog. It is a song about the 3R's; reduce, reuse, recycle. I dare you to watch it and not sing this song for the rest of the day!!!! It's a very catchy little tune. Just click on the picture and it will take you to the video. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. We will watch it in class on Monday.
Hello Everyone!!! Well, I just heard that it is supposed to rain all weekend. So, I put on a link to this great website that I just found on another blog. It has a lot of fun vocabulary games on it. So, if you’re stuck inside, why not play some fun games? Just click on the picture below and it will take you to the site. Have fun!!! Let me know which games you tried and whether or not you liked them. Enjoy your weekend and I will see you on Monday.