Archive for May, 2011
1. NO SCHOOL: There is no school on Monday. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!
2. BIRD TEST: We will be taking the bird test on Tuesday, don’t forget to study your review packet. The last animal group that we will be learning about is mammals.
3. GUEST READER: Channel 4 news anchor and children’s author, Devin Scillian, will be visiting us on Tuesday at 1:30. He will be talking to us about being an author and will read us some of the books that he has written.
4. SECOND GRADE BASH: We will be having our end of the year celebration at Somerset Pool on June 13th. Permission slips and the $1.00 donation were due last Friday. If you have not sent this in, please do so ASAP. If your child does not turn in the permission slip, they will not be allowed in the pool.
5. PTO LUNCH: The PTO will be providing lunch for all students on Thursday. They will be serving pizza. If your child does not like pizza, they will need to bring their own lunch.
Laura & Jakala and Angelo & Jelen have been working really hard preparing for their reader’s theaters. They have been practicing their lines and have been making scenery and puppets. They performed their plays for the class today and also made a podcast for our blog. If you would like to listen to them, just click on their names below.
LIBRARY: We will not be visiting the library any more this year. Please be sure to return your books on Monday!!
4th QUARTER MATH ASSESSMENT: We will be taking the big math test on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Please make sure to go over all 3 review packets that came home last week. This is a VERY important test, report card grades will be based on the results.
REPTILE TEST: On Monday, we will be taking the reptile test. Please make sure you go over the review packet that was sent home on Thursday. The next animal group that we will be studying is birds.
ZOO TRIP: We will be visiting the Detroit Zoo on Thursday. Watch for a reminder note to come home on Tuesday. If you are chaperoning, please be at school at 8:35. We should return back at school around 2:00.
SPELLING: We are done with our spelling units. For the next couple of weeks, we will be reviewing words from the second half of the year. Watch for a pre-test to come home on Monday. There will be 20 words on the test next Friday. There will not be anymore spelling homework for the rest of the year.
Daviontez & Madison and Joseph & Maya worked really hard this past week on their reader’s theater. They practiced reading their lines, made scenery and puppets. They performed their play in front of the class and also did a podcast for our blog. Just click on the arrows below to take a listen.